Ashwagandha is also known as Withania Somnifera. The roots and berries of the ashwagandha plant are used to prepare several medicines. It is a herb loaded with several essential nutrients. Ashwagandha benefits by keeping your body healthy, active, and stress-free.
It is an adaptogen, which means this herb helps to manage stress. Along with that, Ashwagandha provides health benefits to the brain and body.
What is Ashwagandha?
You can address Ashwagandha by different names, including Indian ginseng, winter cherry, and Withania somnifera. Ashwagandha is a Sanskrit word that means the odour of a horse. Multiple Ashwagandha health benefits help in different ways.
A study stated that the leaves of Ashwagandha could inhibit the cancer cells from growing. Along with this, it also helps in the recovery of several disorders. It is used to cure arthritis, Anxiety, bipolar disorder, tumours, skin problems, etc. It reduces the side effects of cancer medicines. It also helps reduce the fat and sugar level in the human body.
This ayurvedic herb is available in different forms with almost the same benefits. Ashwagandha powder, capsules, or roots are some examples.
This plant originated in India and grew best in dry areas. Initially, it was used in ayurvedic medicine to treat specific diseases. Native Americans and Africans also use it to overcome different infections.
Ashwagandha is truly helpful in different ways. It should be consumed in the required quantity to get the essential nutrients absorbed by the body. Some health benefits of Ashwagandha are mentioned below:
- In Ayurvedic medicine, Ashwagandha is used as a beneficial remedy for diabetes. It contains flavonoids in its leaves and roots.
- It helps in managing cancer. This herb reduces the side effects of chemotherapy without interfering with the tumour cell-killing activity.
- It contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. These elements are perfect for cardiovascular problems. It helps to strengthen the heart muscle and reduces cholesterol.
- It may reduce inflammation. In a study, it is stated that Ashwagandha increases the activity of natural killer cells. As a result, it makes your immune system stronger and improves its ability to fight various infections.
- Ashwagandha enhances brain activities and helps to sharpen memory. It also protects nerve cells from free radicals.
- Any supplement with Ashwagandha improves your health.
Other than these benefits, it also helps in managing several issues like:
- Relieves stress
- Reduces Anxiety
- Aids in muscle growth
- Helps with erectile dysfunction
- Stimulates the Thyroid gland
- Boost immunity
- Increases blood production
- Prevent seizures
- Reduces ocular diseases
Ashwagandha Benefits For Men
Ashwagandha is one of the best remedies to cure men’s ailments. This herb regulates testosterone production in the body. This is one of the benefits for men. Some other ashwagandha benefits for men include:
- Reduces stress and Anxiety
- Maintains a balanced sleep cycle
- Helps in reducing stress
- Enhances physical performance
- Improves cardiac endurance
- Effective growth of muscles
- Boosts fertility
This ayurvedic herb is like a magical plant not only for men but for everyone else too. You can get it from the nearest herbal stores. It’s available easily these days. Choose any of the available ashwagandha forms and keep yourself healthy.
How To Use Ashwagandha?
People use Ashwagandha in powdered form. Ashwagandha powder benefits are similar to other forms like capsules or liquid extracts.
Ashwagandha powder is useful only if used in a limited quantity ranging from 450 milligrams to 2 grams.
Ashwagandha is available in different forms, including capsules, powder or liquid extract. You can choose according to your preference.
The dose of Ashwagandha depends on the symptoms. 5-6 grams of ashwagandha powder is enough if consumed for general health. It may vary if you’re consuming it to cure some sort of disease or health issue. One should consult the doctor before including Ashwagandha in the diet plan.
Dosage of Ashwagandha also depends on several other factors, including age, health, and several other conditions.
The dosage of winter cherry changes according to the condition and symptoms.
- Male fertility and balanced testosterone should be around 300 milligrams of root extracts per day.
- Use 300 milligrams 2-3 times a day to overcome thyroid or hypothyroidism disorders.
- For fertility and hormonal balance, it should not exceed 5000 milligrams per day.
- To fight the side effects of chemotherapy, it should be 2000 milligrams per day.
Side Effects Of Using Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha is an all in one solution for many health problems. It is perfect if used in small to medium quantities. But, if it is used in more than the required quantity, it may be harmful in different ways.
- The risk for pregnant women: It is observed that constant use of Ashwagandha by a pregnant woman may cause miscarriages.
- Risk of Medical Interactions: This herb may cause medical interactions. You should ask your healthcare provider before adding Ashwagandha to your diet.
- Stomach ulcers: Avoid Ashwagandha if you have stomach ulcers as it disturbs the GI tract.
- Surgery: Consumption of Ashwagandha may create complications at the time of surgery.
- Thyroid disorders: It may increase the level of thyroid hormone.
Therefore, it is advisable to always consult a health care professional before use.
Ashwagandha is an ayurvedic medicine loaded with several health benefits. But it is still not accepted completely by modern science. Ashwagandha is helpful in many ways but also has several side effects. It can’t be replaced with any medical treatments provided by the doctors.
Still, this herb is considered an amazing health supplement that keeps your immune system healthy. Use it in the required amount only to get the best results. If you want to include this herb in your treatment plan, consult with your doctor. It may reduce the effects of treatment or may cause some unwanted side effects.